Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Buckle Fracture

Let me relate the evening to you. It was moving day. We had EVERYTHING packed and in boxes - it was a very organized move, might I add. The only thing left to do was take down Crew's crib. He had taken a nap while Ryan and I finished taping up some of the last few boxes. All of our moving help was going to be arriving in about 15 minutes. So Ryan started dis-assembling Crew's crib. He back was turned for only a second, when Crew had pulled one of the pieces down and it fell on his arm. He cried, but it wasn't really different than any of his other falls. We watched it, but it didn't swell, and he moved it the same as always, so we didn't really think it was anything major. About 3 hours later, I told Ryan something must be wrong because he had just been really fussy during that whole period. Katie & I took him to the ER while Ryan & Josh put his crib back together so he would have somewhere to sleep when we got home. Turns out he had a buckle fracture. The doctor described it like when you push a pencil eraser on the table, and it bulges out. His bone didn't have a clean break, it just sort of bulged in the spot where he fell on it. He had this soft cast for 2 weeks, and then had a hard cast for 2 more weeks.
This photo was right after Ryan had given him a bath, and he was playing by the door with Josh's tools. My camera died a little while ago, so its one of the few pics I have of him that features his lovely cast. What a handsome little man. He had his cast cut off last Friday - and it has made meal-times and bath-time much more enjoyable for us, and I'm sure for Crew as well :)

2 comments:

Rasmussens said...

So sad! I'm sorry that happened! At least they saw it when you took him in instead of a week later! Where did you move to?

Diane said...

Oh, we're so sorry for Crew. Renae had one of those at almost the same age. We still have the cast...not sure why! Anyway, not fun!